Wednesday, December 7, 2011

To Create


A couple of weeks ago I was introduced to a video series dealing with entrepreneurs and dreamers. I viewed these mini documentaries and they were quite inspiring.
Two different types of people, two different products, both fulfilling their respective dreams, and sharing their creativity with this world.

It dawned on me as I stayed up designing my most recent shirt what an amazing thing it is to create something. Not just anything but something you had envisioned, and made it come true. When you can see something in your head, a thought, an idea or maybe a word, and from this can come something that exists in this world because you made it so.  

My 'Live for the adventure' shirt as with others started with an image in my mind. An image of  a silhouette figure traveling the lonely road leading to where ever that person desires. You can intrperet the image however you see fit and I think that is where the beauty lies. Thinking back on when I was younger I never was truly encouraged to create or imagine, just to follow and do. As you get caught up in this way of thinking a lot of your creativeness gets suppressed or takes the back burner.

I am fortunate enough to find myself in a position where my traveling passion has reignited my creativity and fuels the designs I create.

Every time I see my shirts I get this sense of joy. A fulfillment that is almost indescribable, we all have millions of thoughts and to be able to pluck one of my thoughts from my mind and stare at it,  and wear it physically is such an amazing experience.

If you find yourself wanting to express something creatively, by all means go for it. I am no artist I have never been formally trained in apparell design, but who cares I love my designs and the place they come from fuels my soul!

What I realize now is the power of art is the power of self expression. We are not all great at it, but then again we don't have to be, it is our personal feelings manifesting themselves in the physical. In your eyes it's exactly what you wanted it to be and no one can judge that!


-----------

Here are the videos I had mentioned, if you have a chance please check them out!

Video 1: The Distiller



Made by Hand / No 1 The Distiller from Made by Hand on Vimeo.





Video 2: The Knife Maker



Made by Hand / No 2 The Knife Maker from Made by Hand on Vimeo.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers